I have been paleo for over a year now, and as a result have had plenty of opportunities to experiment with food intake. My approach has evolved considerably since I started. Here are the 5 “phases” of paleo I have gone through so far:
- 3 meals per day, lots of fruits and vegetables, some dairy, some snacking between meals, no supplementation
- 3 meals per day, lots of vegetables, limited fruit, some dairy, little snacking, no supplementation
- 2 meals per day, more fat, lots of vegetables, no fruit, no dairy, no snacking, omega-3 supplementation
- 1-2 meals per day, more fat, fewer vegetables, no fruit, little dairy, no snacking, omega-3 supplementation
- 1-2 meals per day, even more fat, very few vegetables, no fruit, some dairy, no snacking, omega-3 supplementation
As you can see, I am currently on a very low-carb (VLC) diet, involving mostly fatty cuts of meat, eggs, and lots of cooking fats and oils, including some dairy such as butter and heavy cream (for the fat, of course). I find this high-fat, moderate protein, low-carb approach to provide me the most energy, but to each his own. The most important rule of course is no grains.
What does your food intake look like, and how has it evolved? Have you noticed any improvements as a result? Please share in the comments.